Read Write Inc
Read Write Inc. is a method of learning centred around letter sounds and phonics, and we use it here at Holy Cross Catholic Primary School to aid children in their literacy.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using Read Write, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
· When using Read Write to read the children will:
· learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts.
· learn to read words using Fred Talk.
· read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out.
· show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
Read Write Inc.
· Here is a list of the letter sounds and their rhymes to help the
· children with writing letters at school.
· a Round the apple down the leaf (apple)
· b Down the laces to the heel, round the toe (Boot)
· c Curl around the caterpillar (caterpillar)
· d Round his bottom up his tall neck and down to his feet (dinosaur)
· e Lift off the top and scoop out the egg (egg)
· f Down the stem, and draw the leaves (flower)
· g Round her face down her hair and give her a curl (girl)
· h Down the head to the hooves and over his back (horse)
· i Down his body, and dot for his head (insect)
· j Down his body curl and dot (jack-in-the box)
· k Down the kangaroo’s body, tail and leg (kangaroo)
· l Down the long leg (leg)
· m Down Maisie, over the mountain over the mountain (Maisie and
· n Down Nobby, over his net (football net)
· o All around the orange (orange)
· p Down his plait and around his head (pirate)
· q Round her head, up past her earrings and down her hair (queen)
· r Down his back, then curl over his arm (robot)
· s Slither down the snake (snake)
· t Down the tower across the tower (castle tower)
· u Down and under, up to the top and draw the puddle (umbrella)
· v Down a wing, up a wing (vulture)
· w Down up down up (worm)
· x Down the arm and leg and repeat the other side (Exercise)
· y Down a horn up a horn and under his head (yak)
· z Zig-zag-zig (zip)
A free website built to help you help your child learn to read and love to read.
.Help your child's reading
.Over 100 FREE ebooks to enjoy with your child
.Phonics guide (including how to say the sounds correctly)
.Ideas for motivating boys to read
.Great ways to keep up with reading in the holidays
. Reading games and activities.